Sunday, May 15, 2011

Sketching at Maybeck-Designed First Church Berkeley

First Church of Christ Scientist, Berkeley
First Church of Christ Scientist, Berkeley - Interior
The American Institute of Architects named this church one of the three finest uniquely American churches. I saw a picture of the spectacular interior and knew we had to sketch it. I contacted the architectural heritage group, Friends of First Church (see photos on their site), and one of their members was generously willing to open the church for our Tuesday night Urban Sketchers group.

Interior photo from where I sat, First Church Christ Scientist
photo from where I sat and sketched
I tried to envision how I would get everything I wanted onto my page and then just started drawing in the left corner, working my way across the page, drawing directly in ink. I drew up until the last minute so had to add the watercolor at home.

That's a pipe organ behind the choir loft. They're trying to raise funds to restore it.  Everything is embellished with gilt so the room has a golden glow. The architecture and design includes many styles and periods, including Gothic, Romanesque Byzantine and Arts and Crafts.

Spending the evening in that beautiful, quiet, exquisite space was so special and we are very grateful to the Friends of First Church for so graciously sharing this jewel with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!