Saturday, July 9, 2011

Boring? Not!

Peet's Coffee Corner, El Cerrito, ink & watercolor, 7x5"
San Pablo Avenue, El Cerrito looking north from Peet's Coffee
At first glance, the corner of San Pablo Avenue and Carlson in El Cerrito is boring, boring, boring: a wide busy avenue with boxy buildings. But when viewed on a lovely summer day from a cafe table outside Peet's Coffee with pen in hand, it transforms itself into a sketching delight full of fun details and color.

San Pablo Ave. Wells Fargo, El Cerrito, ink & watercolor, 5x7"
San Pablo Avenue, El Cerrito, looking south from Peet's Coffee
Looking the other way down San Pablo, the Wells Fargo Bank building holds little hope for drawing inspiration. But start sketching and it too transforms itself. There are trees of all kinds and colors. A cerulean sky with only a hint of clouds, a pink apartment building and a gold dentist office. Sun, shadows, banners.

Not boring! I don't think I've ever felt bored when I was sketching. Years ago a friend told me that when I was sketching I looked like I was roller-skating. Whee! Let's skate!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!