Monday, December 12, 2011

Occupy Berkeley

Occupy Oakland & Berkeley by Beth Bourland
Occupy Oakland & Berkeley by Beth Bourland
On December 9, fellow sketcher Beth Bourland and I went to Occupy Berkeley. In her blog, Beth notes the little girl playing near the Peace Wall, how the upside-down flag symbolizes distress, and the protester adjusting his tent.
Occupy Berkeley by Sonia Tamez
I was struck with the peaceful coexistence between the Berkeley Farmer's Market underway and the demonstrators' camp next door which I illustrated above.
Occupy Berkeley by Sonia Tamez
Towards the end of my stay, a group of carolers, with director and music stand came by, singing:

"We will occupy the streets. We will occupy the courts. We will occupy the offices of you. Until you do the bidding of the many, not the few."

I wasn't able to sketch them (had to beat it to the car before I got a ticket), but the memory stays with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!