from their website: "THE BERKELEY CITY CLUB IS A HISTORIC HOTEL, private social club, and event venue. It has been accepted into the National Register of Historic Places and is a member of the Historic Hotels of America. In 1927, a small group of women felt the need for a center around women’s activities and had cherished the plan of bringing this into being in Berkeley. These women hired Julia Morgan to design and supervise the construction of the Club, also known as the 'Little Castle' since Miss Morgan was also building the Hearst Castle and many of the buildings features remind visitors of the Hearst Castle.
Upon opening in November 1930, it was the Berkeley Women’s City Club, which became a center for social, cultural, recreational, and family activities in the East Bay. At the height of its legacy as a social club, there were 4,000 female members. In 1965, the club opened its door to both men and women. The membership legacy continues to thrive as a hub for social, business, and cultural interactions."
|The foyer and reception desk|