Normandy Village is a Berkeley landmark on Spruce Street: eight buildings dating from the late 1920's in the "Storybook Style" designed by William Yelland, who also was the architect of the former Tupper and Reed building on Shattuck Avenue. Four other structures were added in the 1940's and 50's. Each unit contains several apartments. Irregular roof lines, fanciful trim, plus the occasional gargoyle add up to a quaint, fairy tale-ish ambiance.
This summer, the bougainvillea has gone wild.