Saturday, June 29, 2013

Women's Work: Rosie the Riveter Museum and the Super Wonky Singer Sewing Machine

Rosie the Riveter Museum (left) and Craneway Pavilion (right), ink & watercolor, 8x10"

When my plein air group met at the Rosie the Riveter Museum alongside Craneway Pavilion (a former auto factory where "Rosie's" riveted during WWII) on the San Francisco Bay in Richmond, everyone else painted the bay view on the other side of these buildings.

But as soon as I drove into the parking lot, this industrial backside grabbed me. From the row of street lights to the giant smokestack and thousands of windows, I was sold. I set up, sketched and painted in the parking lot. Then I toured the museum. My mother, RivaLee was a "Rosie" and worked in an airplane factory in L.A. where she was known as "Riv the Riveter."

Early 1900s Singer sewing machine, ink & watercolor & gold pen, 8x10"
Super wonky drawing of this beautiful and very heavy machine with womanly curves, sketched at a  warehouse full of antique industrial equipment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!