The mission of Urban Sketchers San Francisco Bay Area is to connect local on-location sketchers and show our city and region, one drawing at a time.
One night a month, usually the FIRST THURSDAY, we host a sketch night that is open to the public, along with occasional weekend events. Please see the EVENTS page on this blog for the next event location, or join our Facebook group so you can get invites to all the events. You can also contact us directly using the contact form on the home page.
San Francisco Bay Area urban sketchers are invited to share their drawings on different USK platforms:
- The San Francisco Bay Area flickr group.
- The San Francisco Bay Area Facebook group.
- The global Facebook group.
- The global flickr group.
As with global Urban Sketchers blogs, participating on the USK SF Bay Area blog at
urbansketchers-bayarea.blogspot.com is by invitation. Sketchers who post on USK blogs are known as "correspondents." They are invited based on the quality of their work, style, originality, and overall skills as visual storytellers. The goal is to make the blog as diverse as possible.
Correspondents come from all diverse backgrounds, from painting, architecture, journalism, advertising, illustration, graphic design or teaching. All of them share the same passion for drawing on location.
Being a correspondent means a strong involvement in our community of sketchers, including posting to the blog regularly —a minimum of once a month— and offering feedback to fellow sketchers. Correspondents not only add individual drawings to the blog but also narrative explaining the circumstances in which the sketch was done or a particular story behind it.
When a new blog correspondent is invited by the blog administrators, they are asked to agree to our shared commitment:
- To agree to adhere to the USK mission and manifesto.
- To post regularly--once a month minimum; more if possible.
- To attend and help organize local outings when possible.
- It is also suggested that anyone interested in becoming a USK-SF Bay Area correspondent apply for membership in the global USK organization.