|Dip pen and ink, 9x12in|
"Henry Haus, a native of Switzerland came to Pope Valley in 1889. At the age of 16, he opened his blacksmith shop in the adjacent wooden structure in 1897 caring for the needs of the valley until 1950.
In 1899 he married Regula Anne and they raised 4 sons: Henry Jr, Herman H, Ernest U, and George H. He helped to organize the Pope Valley Farm center, and as with his smithing, gave it his continuous attention during his lifetime. He died December 8, 1955."