Saturday, May 17, 2014

Alviso Slough

Alviso is a small, distinct community in the northern end of San  Jose.  I sketched where the  Guadalupe River and Coyote Creek converge into the Alviso and Mud Sloughs out into the SF Bay.
Historically, Alviso was the boating and shipping port of San Jose. Steamboats travelled between Alviso and San Francisco. Now elevated pathways with gated doors cross the sloughs for hikers and birdwatchers.
Fishermen visit the sloughs as well. (I got sketchier at the end of the day!)

2 comments:

  1. Wow you can see the effects of the drought-this brown already? Lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kate. I suspect that there might be several factors that are at play here-the silting up of the slough, development affecting drainage and ground water, the immediate drought, and climate change. I'll do more research before I go back.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!