Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Mrs. Dalloway's and why I draw what I draw.

I got to thinking about how I pick a subject for my sketches. Often I find a good place to sit and then look for a subject. Last week at Mrs. Dalloway's all of us sat out on the sidewalk and drew the window display. It was a mild November evening and lots of people came by and chatted as we drew. Perfect all around. I thought I wanted to sketch the vintage mannequin but as I got to sketching and painting it became obvious that what really interested me were the wonderful paper flower sculptures in the background. I didn't know that at the start, but looking at the finished sketch I can see it. So no matter what you pick as a subject, the things that are really interesting to you will show in the end.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!