Because of WWII concrete and steel shortages, the bridge was constructed in 1944 of salvaged wood and a steel center truss that was salvaged from an older bridge.
In 2014, Caltrans determined that the bridge, "is reaching the end of its service life and becoming too expensive to maintain." Preservationists, distrustful of Caltran's assessment, successfully added the bridge to the National Register of Historic Places. The debate continues . . . .