Sunday, December 21, 2014

Sketching at the Cantor

I love visiting the Cantor Arts Center on the Stanford University campus. Instead of my usual hit-and-run sketching, last month  I luxuriated in spending the whole day there. Here are two of my sketches of my favorite sculptures. Above, is a drawing of Deborah Butterfield's horse (untitled 1999) installed in the main lobby. It is at once monumental, yet delicate with its weaving of bronze casts of driftwood.

Below is Richard Serra's Sequence (2006) installed outside in the courtyard. I rarely encounter anyone else in it as I wander its slot canyons. I enjoy the way it carves up space and sky and how it looks during different times of they day and throughout the seasons here.  But just for another year!  I've been told that this sculpture is destined to go into a new wing of SFMOMA in 2016. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!